The Bates Family

The Bates Family

Monday, January 30, 2012

Grandma turns 90!

This past week my Grandmother turned 90 years old. I can't believe it. Physically she is in the shape of a 65 year old, and her personality sometimes reminds me of myself and my college friends! In other words for being 90 years old, she is doing great! She is an amazing person and someone I truly look up to. My Grandmother has been on her own for a long time. When my dad was only 15 years old, my Grandfather, Cleo, passed away. My grandmother lost her husband and my dad lost his father at such a young age. She had to become such an independent women at a young age. Now that she is older, my dad is able to help her out as she did for him growing up.
My Grandma is such a hysterical person. Not a day goes by that I don't quote something she has said or I find myself doing things she might have done. Every Christmas or any gathering for that matter, she says something funny and I don't thing she means to say it. She is a very particular lady and her silver hair always is in its place. She has so many stories to tell us, and she absolutely loves talking to her great-grandboys, and great-grandpuppy.
I will never forget the day in 2008 when I was walking Ady around the block after I got off work. I called my parent's house to talk to my mom or dad, which I always do, and no one answered. I remember having this bad feeling in my stomach. I proceeded to call my Grandmother's house and she wasn't there either. I knew something was wrong. I continuously called my mom's cell phone until she finally answered and said she was at the hospital with my Grandma because she had a heart attack. My heart just sank. I didn't know what to say or do. All I knew was that I wanted to be with my grandma. Jeff and I headed back to see her that next morning, as we didn't know how serious the condition was. I remember seeing my grandma laying in the hospital bed not really knowing what to say or think. It happened so sudden, in fact she didn't even know she was having a heart attack. My grandma was is such great spirits and she was not going to give up! In that moment I knew she was going to be okay. Jeff and I were expecting our first baby at that time, and I wasn't sure if it was a good time to tell her or not. After thinking it through and I remember talking to my dad, I decided to go ahead and tell her our exciting news. I remember her sitting up in her hospital bed and saying "oh my, this is a lot to take in." I told her not to get too excited and get some rest for now and we can talk about the baby later. She couldn't stop talking about it the rest of the day, evening or week! She was so excited.
My Grandma is an inspiration. She's a warm-hearted and very caring person. I am so glad she is here to see her great-grandchildren grow and become little boys. I am looking forward to celebrating many more birthdays with her and I can't wait for what else Grandma has to say :) Love you with all my heart Grandma. Happy Birthday!

 
Posted by Picasa



Tyce got a nice good kiss from Grandma on the cheek with her lipstick!

No comments:

Post a Comment