The Bates Family

The Bates Family

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A reflection of 2011!

Well, we made it through another year! It was a year full of changes and excitement with a few bumps in the road on the way. But here are saying goodbye to 2011 and hello 2012.
As I refelct on what has happened over the year and can't think of anything else but the fact that I am blessed.

We are working on our second year living in Grinnell. We are finding that being in small town Iowa isn't all that bad, it is just different and we like it. Settling here would not be so bad! We bought our first home and are pretty settled in. I have my days where I feel the need to decorate more and more so that is still in the works, but for the most part we are pretty comfy. Jeff is in his second year working for Hy-Vee. He is the Pharmacy Manager at the store and he enjoys it. He is finding working in the retail world, isn't the easiest! He really has no complaints about his job though. He is always striving to learn more and continues to do so. His work schedule is nice. He works every other Saturday (shift ending at 3:00) and the weeks he does work Saturday he has Tuesday and Wednesday of that same week off. The following week, he works four 10 hour days which are long days for both him and I but it is worth it to have the three day weekend! He keeps himself busy with the boys and on his days off he tries to relax as much as possible, however that isn't possible with a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old! Jeff still has a love for golf and will continue to do men's league in the summers and will golf as much as possible!
On to the kiddos!

JASE - My little man Jase. He is a ball full of energy! Definitely keeping Jeff and I on our toes! Jase will be 3 already in March. He is so funny and has the "I can do everything all by myself" kind of attitude! I say more power to him. If Jeff or I try to help him we get the "No MOM", or "No DAD," response. We just back off and he either will do it or learn his lesson (depending on what he is trying to do). Sometimes you just got to let them learn on there own. As long as he is not going to get hurt, we let him do just that. Jase is becoming very particular with how he likes things done. He is becoming quite the "picky" eater I would say. He eats his fruits and vegetables very well, but as far as the "main" course goes, he is very hit or miss! It makes it difficult to plan meals, but I think that is a difficult task anyway! Jase has always been the type to do things when HE is ready. If it is crawling, walking or going to the potty, he does it on his terms. I mean I was in labor with the little man for 25 hours and ended up having him C-Section. This should have been my warning that this was how he was going to be through life. He takes his time and goes at something with full force. He is not the type to take baby steps, he goes for it full throttle! Jase is an amazing big brother. He loves his brother and I know he will take care of him through life. Today for instance, Tyce had to get his 1 year shots which is a total of 5 shots. We told Jase this, and the entire time Jeff and Tyce were at the doctor, Jase was asking for Tyce and would put a frown on his face (like he felt sorry for him). When Tyce got home, he said "oh no, baby has owie." He then proceeded to kiss his head and give him a hug. It was so sad but so sweet. Jase has his moments when he takes things from Tyce and will pick on him, but I guess that is just what the older sibling does! Jase continues to surprise us each day with the things he does and says. He is such a caring and loving person. He is very good at sharing (not so much with his brother, but with other kids) and he loves, loves, loves playing with other kids at parks or at the church nursery! He still enjoys gymnastics every week and we will continue to go in the new year.

 
Posted by Picasa


TYCE - Tyce just turned 1 on the 6th. I am finding that with his birthday and Christmas pretty much back to back, my Decembers will be one big stressful month, but I think December is like that for everyone! It is all fun though. Tyce is my little snuggle buddy. He loves to be talked to, held, played with, or rocked all the time! If you are paying attention to him or if he is stimulated in some way, he is golden! It is those times when he is sitting in his high chair while I am cooking dinner or cleaning, or when he is in his bed asleep, wakes up and realizes that he is alone that are stressful and not the best! Tyce has a set of lungs on him that can be heard for miles. We found this out the second they took him out of my stomach! Tyce is starting to get quite the personality. He is such a determined little guy and he gets so frustrated when things don't go his way. Like right now for instance, he is pushing around a grocery cart. Whenever he pushes the cart in to the wall, he stops and just cries and pouts because he is frustrated the grocery cart won't continue to go! It is so funny, but I feel sorry for the buddy. Tyce is so close to walking on his own. He could totally do it, but I think he is still nervous and scared. He loves to stand on his own though. I think it is the round of applause he receives after he stands up and puts his arms in the air like "ta da". I must say both the boys don't mind being the COA. Tyce also LOVES to dance. He can really shake it! He loves to hold on to the table or couch and if there is music that will come on the television or if a song comes on the radio he will start bouncing his little behind up and down. It is so cute! Tyce works hard everyday to keep up with his older brother and I think he tries to impress him in some ways. If he does something that Jase laughs at, Tyce will continue to do it over and over again. It is precious and I think he will try to do this his whole life. All he wants is for Jase to play with him, but sometimes Jase wants to do his own thing too, which is okay. I know in my heart Jase and Tyce will always look out for each other, because that is what brothers do! Tyce melts our heart with his sweet smile and chubby little cheeks that you can't help but squeeze. I know these cheeks will probably go away someday, but for now I will enjoy them while I can!

 
Posted by Picasa


ADY - And of course the girl! We must not forget about her. She continues to do what she does best. SLEEP. That girl can sleep all day through just about everything these boys do. They could be pulling on her ears and stepping on her paws and she still would stay asleep. She is quite the guard dog i must say. Anytime someone walks by the house or rings the doorbell, she is right there to bark her little heart out. I guess I should be thankful that she will warn me if there was ever an intruder. Ady was our first "baby" and I honestly don't know what I would do without her. She puts up with a lot of stuff, especially from the boys. There are days I find myself talking to her. She doesn't talk back to me but she listens and has a good heart!




As for me, I don't know if it is the spirit of the holiday season or the fact I have two kids or what but I have been so emotional that I cry at just about everything! I love being a mom and I am blessed with the fact that I get to be at home with my children. I won't miss those "firsts" that my boys will experience. Do I have days when Jeff will come home from work and I will be on the internet trying to find a job?! ABSOLUTELY! I have many days where I can't wait for my head to reach my pillow and I can start over the next day, but over all, I have to remember the days blessings and forget the days troubles. This is a saying I have on my kitchen counter, and I do look at it often. I will probably continue to stay home with the boys as long as I can. I enjoy the little things we get to do and the older they are getting, the easier my job is getting! There are days I miss the adult conversation and interaction, but I hope one day I will get to experience that again!
Jeff and I were able to take a few trips this past year. We went to Okoboji as a family a few times which we try to do every year and we were able to make it to a Kansas City Chiefs Football game. Even though they aren't the best team in the NFL, we still had a good time. This is the first NFL game for both of us. We made a memorable weekend out of it, so it was very nice.

As for 2012 we don't know what is to come of it but we are just thankful for our good health and happiness and that we have two very healthy little boys that keep growing and growing!

We wish you all a very Merry Christmas and love and happiness for the new year!

Love,
The Bates'

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment