The Bates Family

The Bates Family

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Christmas trees and Al the Elf!

We are preparing for the "most wonderful time of the year" in the Bates house.  Gosh, I find myself saying that but then I always complain about the hustle and bustle of the holidays.  Really though, it is the most wonderful time.  We found the perfect Bates Christmas tree which really was "perfect" in our eyes because I think this is the first year we correctly judged on the size of the tree when we went to cut it down.
In the past it has either been too tall or too wide! 

We also had our yearly visitor from Al the Elf.
He is quite the watcher.  I am definitely not the most creative  when it comes to the elf on the shelf but I try and the kids like the simple tricks he does.
This year we also started a new tradition with reading a Christmas or winter book every night in December.  I wrapped up 24 books, a lot of them were some of my favorites, and each night we open one and read it together.  I know you are picturing this perfect family sitting on the couch with the fire place going and everyone is engaging in the story.  Not the case at all, but we try at least!  They definitely like to find out what book we are reading and opening it of course.

Al the Elf and Miss Hayden changing Frosty the Snowman's Diaper


We also started an Advent calendar.  It is more of a chalk board calendar that we write on.  We wanted to get the message across to the kiddos that there are __ many days until Jesus' birthday instead of __many days until Christmas or until we open presents etc.  They seem to like this idea and so we will try and stick with it.



Other than that we are finishing up on Christmas shopping too.  We wanted to try and get the kids something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read.  We heard this is the way to go so you don't go overboard on buying gifts for the kids, especially when you have multiple kiddos.  We tried our best to stick with that plan but maybe added a few more :)  Tomorrow we have our church Christmas Program which is one of my highlights.  Unfortunately Jeff had to work so he will miss it, but I am going to video the whole thing.  The children put on the whole service and it is absolutely wonderful.  They tell the Christmas story and this year both boys will be involved so it will be great.  After weeks of practicing in Sunday School it will be interesting to see how they do!  Jase is getting over a bad case of strep so hopefully by tomorrow he will be good to go!!   Hope the Holiday Season is bringing joy to everyone as it is to our family!    

No comments:

Post a Comment